In Darren Aronofsky’s latest psychological thriller, and perhaps his best film to date, Natalie Portman stars as Nina Sayers, the uptight ballerina whose perfectionism serves as her biggest flaw.
Black Swan is this year’s feature show for a prestigious ballet company in New York City. But instead of having two separate ballerinas to dance the parts of the black and white swan, one dancer will have the privilege, and challenge, of portraying both.
Although Nina’s dancing is flawless, company director, Thomas Leroy, can only see her as the white swan. Her moves are perfect, yet rigid, and to accurately portray the black swan, Nina will really have to have to lose herself.
With a face full of makeup, Nina approaches her director and asks for the part. At first he declines, admitting he has already cast another dancer, but Nina shows him a daring side of her that changes his mind.
In the midst of preparing for the big production, a new dancer has joined the company. Her name: Lily. Her dancing: mesmerizing, as if she isn’t even trying–and it’s no secret that what Nina is lacking for the black swan, Lily makes up for.
Watch as this suspenseful thriller illustrates the intense pressures of being a professional ballerina (both actresses dropped nearly 20 pounds for the film!), and as Nina loses herself–literally, becoming what she never thought possible.
Vanilla Cake with Strawberry Frosting Recipe
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 box confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 tablespoon cream
- 1 cup crushed strawberries
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line two 9-inch round cake pans or one 9×13-inch rectangular baking pan with parchment paper. Grease the paper and the sides of the pan.
- In a large mixing bowl,beat sugar and eggs until slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Add flour, milk, oil, baking powder, and vanilla and beat for another minute, until the batter is smooth and creamy. Pour batter into the prepared baking pan(s).
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until the tops are golden and a toothpick poked into the center of the cake comes out clean. Loosen the sides of the cake from the pan with a thin knife, then turn out onto a rack and peel off the paper. Let cool completely before covering with frosting.
- In mixing bowl, mix together sugar, butter, cream, strawberries and vanilla until smooth and fluffy.
Cooking time: 1 hour. – Servings: 10. – Back to Top